[Development] QtWebSockets as add-on: current voting status

Kurt Pattyn pattyn.kurt at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 13:15:46 CET 2014

Hi,

The majority seems to agree that this should NOT go into the QtNetwork module, but should be an add-on.
Votes so far:

Peter Hartmann: +1 - add-on
Richard Moore: +1 - add-on
Konstantin Ritt: +1 - add-on
Frederik Gladhorn: +1 - add-on
Lars Knoll: +1 - QtNetwork

Simon Hausmann has questions regarding the QML component:
"Given that there exists a web idl for Web sockets, I suggest the qml api to consist of a QML element and a Javascript constructor. The prototype and the qml element should probably have the same api, the web Standard one.
It is in our interest that third-part JS code out there using web sockets can be used seamlessly in qml.”

Maybe it is interesting to know that the API of QML module evolved from ‘function-based’ to ‘declarative-based’ after discussion with Alan Alpert. To me, the module feels fine, but there is of course much to say about the standard Web Sockets API as described in http://www.w3.org/TR/websockets/. I really don’t have an opinion here.
Of course, for a first version the QML module can be left out until the direction is clear on this.
What are your thoughts?

Cheers,

Kurt