[Development] Remove OSX 10.6 Build?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Jan 20 21:15:24 CET 2014

On segunda-feira, 20 de janeiro de 2014 20:45:50, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> It is true that building on OSX 10.6 still require GCC 4.2 which is a bit
> old. If it is possible to build with clang and target OSX 10.6 that would
> be great.
>
> We could revisit the supported compiler.
> Personally, this would be my list:
>  GCC 4.5 / clang 3.1 / MSVC 2010

Clang 3.1 on Linux? Or do you mean Clang-that-came-with-XCode 3.1? Or maybe
Clang-that-came-with-XCode version closest to upstream Clang 3.1?

The version numbers on Mac have nothing to do with the upstream version. Right
now, Clang is reporting to be version 5.0 (that's XCode 5.0).

Clang on Linux is of minor interest to our users, since they're more likely to
use what comes with their distros and those standardise on GCC

> That way we could start using C++11 feature in Qt: such as 'auto', lambda
> expressions, 'decltype', variadic macro, and more.
>
> If not for Qt 5.3,  at least Qt 5.4.

That means dropping completely support for older compilers as well as
commercial compilers from other OS that don't support those C++11 features
yet. I don't think we can do that in 2014 yet. With luck, maybe by mid-2015
(which would be Qt 5.6).

That said, you are allowed to write more efficient code and new features using
those features. QUuid does that. I'm also using lambdas in QtCore:
	https://codereview.qt-project.org/74182

You just can't break the build if the feature isn't present. Not yet, anyway.