[Development] Remove OSX 10.6 Build?

Rutledge Shawn Shawn.Rutledge at digia.com
Tue Jan 21 09:20:34 CET 2014

On 21 Jan 2014, at 8:01 AM, Sarajärvi Tony wrote:

> You are talking about dropping 10.6 support, whereas we are dropping 10.7 as well from the CI.
> I know support and CI aren't the same thing, but you might want to object our plan which as of now hasn't received any criticism.

I'm surprised the "market share" for 10.7 is as low as it is and for 10.6 that it's so high.  One of my macs at home, and my main mac at work, are both stuck on 10.7 because of old hardware.  (At least the one at work can potentially upgrade if I buy it a new video card.)  But why do people stay with 10.6?  I was surprised that we dropped support for 10.5 years ago already, because anyone with a PPC machine is still stuck with it, and no version of Qt 5 was supported.  Seems to me that 10.6 is probably as obsolete now as 10.5 was back then, but 10.7 might not be quite yet.  At least I will probably continue testing 10.7 for a while even if CI doesn't, so it will begin to get frustrating if lots of bugs start to happen.  (It's also possible that won't happen, since there aren't big kludges for 10.7 support AFAIK.  Or maybe I will just buy the video card and upgrade.)

I should point out again that it would be a good idea to always have some CI machines which use a case-sensitive filesystem, since otherwise I end up fixing bugs related to that.  Case-sensitive is not the default when installing OS X, but since Linux is case-sensitive, it doesn't take much effort to keep it working on OSX too, as long as we get the CI feedback about it.