[Development] Remove OSX 10.6 Build?

Ziller Eike Eike.Ziller at digia.com
Wed Jan 22 08:51:53 CET 2014

On Jan 21, 2014, at 3:01 PM, Mohamed Fawzi <Fawzi.Mohamed at digia.com> wrote:

> On 21 Jan 2014, at 14:25, Jake Petroules <jake.petroules at petroules.com>
>  wrote:
>
>> On Jan 21, 2014, at 7:36 AM, Sorvig Morten <Morten.Sorvig at digia.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On 21 Jan 2014, at 11:51, Simon Hausmann <simon.hausmann at digia.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> That depends on how much time we spend releasing Qt :)
>>>
>>> I realize that if I’m the only one who want’s to keep supporting 10.6 then that’s not going to work. The most important thing to me is to have a somewhat predictable deprecation plan. For example (and at the risk of making this example “the plan”):
>>>
>>> 5.3 - Remove support from binary packages.
>>> 5.4 - 10.6 support is deprecated.
>>> 5.5? - Remove support.
>
> I also think that it looks reasonable, but I would also find announcing now that 5.4 drops 10.6 support ok (I don't see this big need for "deprecated but still there" if one knows long enough before).
> Anyway another thing (with ARC support) is also C++11.
> Is it clear when we will begin to require C++11?

> Because supporting C++11 in 10.6 is *very* tricky (one might try to ship libc++, but system library will still use libstdc++ and I am not sure if binary compatibility with the version shipped in 10.6 is guaranteed.

You can’t compile C++11 code if you use deployment target 10.6 (the Apple tools prevent that), so “ship libc++” is out of question. The only maybe-possible path would be to use custom GNU libs instead of the Apple-provided ones, but I do not think that we want to support that in any way.

++ Eike