[Development] Status of Qt3D?

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at kdab.com
Thu Jan 23 15:59:29 CET 2014

Hi,

On Wednesday 22 January 2014 21:42:40 Jesper Weissglas wrote:
> Qt3D looks appetizing for my next project, but I'm not having much luck
> with finding out what's going on.
>
> So I thought I'd ask.

Best way to get answers ;)

> Following instruction on http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt3D-Installation
> (for Windows/MinGW) gives you a Qt3D that builds OK but doesn't even run
> it's own tutorial examples.
>
> All other info from the forum relates to older versions.
> This list has no real mentions of Qt3D for the last months.
> The dedicated Qt3D list seems to have fallen off the net. (It was hosted
> at Nokia)
> The official repo at https://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qt3d has very little
> activity the last months.
>
> Hopefully I'm wrong, but the project looks rather dead from this point
> of view???

The project is far from dead. We are hacking on it right now, but given how
much we want to change from Qt3D 1 we have been working on it in private.
However, we are now about to begin upstreaming it to a non-CI controlled
branch in the Qt3D repo.

The architecture has changed quite significantly from Qt3D 1 and we have also
been working hard through Qt 5.1/5.2 to get more of the OpenGL helpers in
place that Qt3D will build upon.

I will post more information about the new architecture and future plans
shortly.

Cheers,

Sean

Dr Sean Harmer | sean.harmer at kdab.com | Managing Director UK