[Development] Remove OSX 10.6 Build?

Jan Farø jan.faroe at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 21:16:54 CET 2014

On 23/01/2014, at 23.59, development-request at qt-project.org wrote:

>> If you do the math from the data available here http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0
>> (that’s December 2013), 10.6 accounts for slightly less than 20% of all the OS X versions. Let’s suppose those numbers reflect the reality.
>
> For our app at least, the numbers are close to our actual OS X usage
> figures. Last I checked in September 2013, 20% of Mac users were on OS
> X 10.6. I should be able to get more up to date numbers if that is
> useful.
>
> As for the reason why usage of OS X 10.6 is still high - I think that
> is down to awareness of the need to upgrade and the effort/time vs.
> perceived benefits, as well as hardware compatibility issues. Once
> browsers (FF, Chrome) make a move towards dropping 10.6 support this
> might help awareness.
>
> Regards,
> Rob.

I don’t think anybody has mentioned the lack of ability to upgrade hardware - mostly because of financial issues, I suppose. 10.6 is as far as I know the last Mac OS to support 32 bit systems. Previous versions of my own software supported PPC and down to Mac OS 10.4, which gave me a considerable user base from that segment. Percentages aside, there’s still a LOT of people sitting with old hardware, simply because they cannot afford to upgrade.

XP was introduced in 2001. It’s still supported. Mac OS 10.6 was introduced in 2009. I understand the desire to get rid of the messiness under the hood, but I think it should be considered that it cuts out users on hardware platforms not so much up to date.