[Development] Remove OSX 10.6 Build?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Jan 24 03:46:51 CET 2014

On sexta-feira, 24 de janeiro de 2014 06:20:23, Jan Farø wrote:
> Worldwide: http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-monthly-201212-201312-bar (Win7:
> 52%, XP: 22%, Mac OS: 7%)
>
> Denmark: http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-DK-monthly-201212-201312-bar (Win7:
> 53%, Mac OS: 16%, iOS: 8.5%) Denmark is a country with big purchasing
> power. Win XP is almost gone here, below Mac OS and iOS, units usually
> associated with higher price.
>
> China: http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-CN-monthly-201212-201312-bar (XP: 56%,
> Win7: 36%, Win8: 2%) XP dominates here. One might suspect the cause being
> less general buying power. Note the lack of Apple hardware in the top.
>
> Cuba: http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-CU-monthly-201212-201312-bar (WP: 51%,
> Win7: 32%,  Linux: 6.7% Same here. Note the sudden appearance of Linux.
> Many Linux distros runs well on lower powered hardware. I doubt that Cubans
> are die hard Linux fans in general.
>
> I don’t think I’m interpreting too much from the above by stating that the
> popularity of older OS versions are dependent on buying power and
> geography, not just the existence of replacement candidates.  _

We don't doubt it.

But the question is whether those older OS are targets for applications
shipping with Qt 5.4. So it's really about the target user base of
applications to be released one year from now.

It's not about asking Qt users what they'd like. We know the answer: "please
support OS X on PPC, Windows XP, and please bring back Windows 95, OS/2 and
BeOS while you're at it". It's about what will need one year from now.