[Development] Does Qt need a unified, cross-platform app deployment for devices and desktops?

Kevin Olbrich kolbrich at dolphin-it.de
Fri Jan 24 15:29:52 CET 2014

Am 24.01.2014 um 14:04 schrieb Frederik Gladhorn <frederik.gladhorn at digia.com>:

> Fredag 24. januar 2014 10.25.38 skrev Vladimir Minenko:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I just wanted to bring up for a discussion an enhancement which concerns not
>> only BlackBerry 10 as a platform, but also other platforms Qt runs on as
>> well.
>>
>> We recently submitted the change
>> https://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,75441 (still WIP) which allows a
>> Qt developer on BB10 just to do "make deploy" on a random .pro file to get
>> that project packaged and deployed in a BB10 device without any additional
>> typing. BB10 has already a full integration for these steps Qt Creator. The
>> above change targets to significantly simply steps required on the command
>> line. This is not only for those who (still) use the command line, but also
>> for a CI system which would be able to automatically create and deploy test
>> apps and unit tests in a cross platform manner and without "insider hacks".
>>
>> In the course of discussions on Gerrit wrt this change, there was a feedback
>> that a unified cross-platform solution would be much better than a yet
>> another deployment tool. No doubts, such a solution would be great in the
>> future, and this is the reasons for this email. I just hope this does not
>> block us making Qt on BB10 a comfortable development environment.
>>
>> A quick run over available information feeds [1] shows that basically only
>> Android and BB10 have a one-go deployment infrastructure for apps. Others
>> are a kind of an independent task to get done in addition to application
>> development without any cross-platform support from Qt.
>>
>> So the question is if owners/maintainers of all platform see this need and
>> we can agree targeting some unification done in a future Qt release.
>
> I think this would be very sensible. There are ideas to unify the deployqt
> tools for at least android and ios, but I would like this to go further for
> other platforms as well.
>
> In fact I'd think it would be great if we could reach a state where we have
> integration with the installer framework and running make deploy (or make
> installer or whatever) gives you a setup.exe on windows for example.

I agree as long as this is optional. Currently my builds are made by Jenkins CI for both Linux and iOS apps.
Currently I run qmake and then use the XCode Plugin to build the app like every native XCode App. At last I publish it to testflightapp.com.
For android builds, running deployqt automates everything and AFAIK I don’t have much control (ant called automatically, etc.).
I would appreciate to deploy from my local dev machine as long as the real build can be manual.

Greetings,
Kevin.