[Development] Prettier printing of Unicode strings

Jan Kundrát jkt at flaska.net
Sun Jan 26 12:36:27 CET 2014

On Tuesday, 21 January 2014 01:05:07 CEST, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>    Actual   (s) : \u221212\u20A0\uD800\uDC00
>    Expected (s2): \u221212\u20AC\uD800\uDC00
[...]
>  - all backslashes as \\
>  - the following characters as their escape sequences: \r, \n, \t, \b, \f
>  - all other control characters (including 0x7f) as \u00XX
>  - all other characters with \uXXXX, including text otherwise
> readable in the
>    terminal in the locale

The rules you describe appear to be out-of-sync with what the example above
shows. Is there perhaps a rule "English letters, punctuation and numbers
are displayed as-is"?

If that is the case, then it looks like a good change.

> Should I also do the same for QByteArray? Reading hex dumps isn't very
nice.

Yes -- I have used QString::fromUtf8(bytearray) multiple times in my tests
to produce an ugly workaround.

Cheers,
Jan

--