[Development] Prettier printing of Unicode strings

Konrad Rosenbaum konrad at silmor.de
Mon Jan 27 11:25:17 CET 2014

On Monday, Monday 27 January 2014 at 09:06, Knoll Lars wrote:
> >With my change as it is, you'd see:
> >Actual   (s1): Thiago Jos\u00E9 Macieira / Lars Knoll
> >Expected (s2): Thiago Jose\u0301 Macieira \u2215 L\u0430rs Knoll
>
> I know that, but we’re usually not writing our auto tests to try and
> trick someone. Just saying that for many use cases utf8 output makes the
> issue easier to spot. How about an environment variable to turn off
> escaping?

Neither do I, but as a user of Qt I've inadvertently tricked myself often
enough with additional trailing spaces (please highlight those as well!),
using production data for tests, complex conversions performed by other system
components that I don't control directly, etc.

In short: Thiago's change would be a huge boon to my testing efforts.

Don't assume a perfect test environment where data is specially crafted to fit
the test purpose, where tests are designed from the beginning of the project,
and where engineers know what they are doing. Often enough none of those is
true in reality.

	Konrad