[Development] Development Digest, Vol 28, Issue 105

Jan Farø jan.faroe at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 11:52:43 CET 2014

> On Jan 26, 2014, at 8:10 PM, Robert Knight <robertknight at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> In regards to users of Mac OS Qt applications: I’m am extremely confident that more Mac OS applications would be/have been written in Qt,
>>> if the priority for native looking widget support was higher. Mac OS users are notorious for their attention to detail and noticing a non-native L&F.
>>> Forcing application developers to resort to Objective C/Cocoa/style sheet hacks/whatever in order to make the UI look and behave more
>>> native sort of defies the notion of a cross platform framework.
>>
>> Indeed. In terms of diverting resources away from supporting older
>> versions of OS X this is probably going be much more compelling for Qt
>> users than talk of being able to use C++11, ARC, newer naive APIs etc.
>> inside Qt itself.
>>
>> As an aside, in a company with enough resources to have product
>> designers, the designers are highly likely to be using Macs and their
>> impressions of Qt apps there tend to carry over to discussions about
>> what platforms to base other versions of a cross-platform app on. So
>> if Digia want to sell commercial licenses to use Qt on iOS, Android
>> etc. investment in Mac L&F may be quite worthwhile.
>
> So what’s the relationship of that discussion on quality of Qt on OS X, to the discussion on supporting 10.6 or not?
> Dropping support for 10.6, and making it possible to clean up that code, would in the mid-term free up resources that would make it possible to spend more resources on better OS X integration in general (or, would make the existing resources more efficient in doing so)?

It was stated earlier that Mac OS software not being supported by new versions of Qt could just use older Qt versions. As I trid to explain, the earlier versions are either visually not very good looking/lacks some widget features, and Qt5 has serious bugs on the Mac up to 5.2.0. Qt 5.2.0 and down are not very good options if you need a certain set of UI features/care about L&F.

However, I understand that a spring cleaning is necessary in order to push the quality on Mac OS.