[Development] QSharedMemory POSIX implementation

Calogero Mauceri mauceri at actgate.com
Wed Jul 9 16:17:38 CEST 2014

Hi all,

I find QSharedMemory very useful, and I'm extensively using it for cross
platform IPC.

I noticed in the code (qsharedmemory_unix.cpp) there are two
implementations for that class, one using System V IPC and the other
using POSIX IPC (mmap). On both Linux and Mac versions of Qt, the System
V primitives are used and there is no way to compile Qt using the POSIX
implementation (-posix-ipc option is not available in configure).

Is there any reason why the System V implementation is preferred? I'd
like to switch to the POSIX one to overcome limits in some platforms
where the maximum shared memory allowed is only 4MB.

Thanks,
     Calogero

--
Calogero Mauceri
Software Engineer

Applied Coherent Technology Corporation (ACT)
www.actgate.com