[Development] Guidelines for reporting bugs in Qt

Robert Löhning robert.loehning at digia.com
Wed Jul 9 19:50:06 CEST 2014

Am 03.07.2014 16:31, schrieb Friedemann Kleint:
> Hi,
>
> as a result of internal discussions at Digia, I have updated
> http://qt-project.org/wiki/ReportingBugsInQt a bit. The motivation
> behind this is that we want the bug reports as good as possible since
> many roles in the Qt project deal with them (developers, code reviewers,
> release managers, people trying to check for regressions, ...) and thus
> it is important that bug reports are easy to understand and to reproduce.
>
> I would like to have more opinions on the guidelines at
> http://qt-project.org/wiki/ReportingBugsInQt . Is there anything missing
> that would make fixing bugs easier in the modules you maintain?
>
> Once we have the guidelines in a good shape, they will be shown
> prominently on the JIRA-landing page.
>
> Regards,
> Friedemann

Hi Friedemann,

good initiative! The text looks mostly good. Some minor things I just
fixed myself.

In addition, some wording is outdated. We neither have Trolls nor
Merge-Requests anymore.

And then there's a logic problem: The text demands to attach files with
a name containing the bug's number while creating the report. This is
not possible as you won't know the number before you created the report.
Instead, the text should recommend to attach such files in a second
step, after creating the bare report.

Thanks,
Robert

--
   Robert Löhning, Software Engineer - Digia, Qt
   Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin,