[Development] Cake and eating it too for qDebug printing to system log - https://codereview.qt-project.org/89357

Dmitriy Purgin dpurgin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 10:03:59 CEST 2014

Sorry for my vague statements :)

Actually I wasn't talking about logging to file as a default for
Windows. On the contrary I think this has to be done by each
application individually -- someone needs as you rightly say 10 lines
of code just to make sure everything went okay, others need a large
logging facility with rotation, archiving, severity of messages and
maybe even mirroring some messages to a database. There's no universal
solution here, the former would complain about dependencies, the
latter would extend the existing logger or invent their own.

What I'm trying to say is that logging to file seems to be more common
approach on Windows than logging to Event Log accessed from the
Control Panel -> Administrative unless it is a service or application
produced by Microsoft :) Access to Event Log by end-user can really be
restricted by Domain Policies which affects mostly enterprise users,
though I totally agree that those who are affected should do something
about it.

Cheers