[Development] Remove OSX 10.6 Build?

Adam Light aclight at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 22:53:43 CEST 2014

Getting back to a thread from a few months ago....

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 3:57 PM, Jake Petroules <
jake.petroules at petroules.com> wrote:

> Pretty much the only thing you lose with ARC is that it's 64-bit only and
> thus using it means waving goodbye to 32-bit Qt on OS X completely. I don't
> know if this is a problem for anyone. There's also a selection of classes
> to which zeroing weak references cannot be made at all, and this list has
> changed from release to release.

Have any final decisions been made on this matter?

Our Qt based application, which we hope to release next year, must be able
to be *both* 32 and 64 bit on Macintosh. This isn't due to hardware
constraints but because our application allows users to use 3rd party
libraries for which they often don't have the source code. Since the
version of the application we are currently shipping is 32-bit only on
Macintosh, none of these 3rd party libraries will function if we provide
only a 64-bit version of our application. This will make it much more
difficult for our users to upgrade when we release the new version, and
that's something we'd like to avoid.

We'd like to plan to use Qt 5 for our application (instead of 4.8) but if
it soon won't be possible to build a 32-bit version we might have to stick
with Qt 4.8 (of course, that has problems of its own).

For what it's worth, we're OK dropping support for OSX 10.6, just not the
ability to build a 32-bit application.

Thanks

Adam