[Development] Converting types in Qt

Poenitz Andre Andre.Poenitz at digia.com
Wed Jul 16 12:06:52 CEST 2014

Jędrzej Nowacki wrote:
> Eike wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > Either there is no “common sense” common to me, or this rule has failed in
> > the past already ;)
> > bool -> string ?
> > bytearray -> int/long/double ?
> > keysequence -> int ?
> > string -> bool ?
> > string -> bytearray ?
> > string -> int ?
>
> What is wrong with string -> int or bytearray -> int?

At the very least, _implicit_ conversions should not lose data,
i.e. a  A a1;  B b = a1; A a2 = b; round trip ideally should yield
a1 == a2.

If I am ready to give up information, I'd like to need to say so
in the code explicitly. (And yes, part of the deed is done in the
core language, but even there compilers start to nag about it.)

Andre'