[Development] [HEADS UP] new branching scheme: 5.3 branches created, stable deprecated

Knoll Lars Lars.Knoll at digia.com
Fri Jun 6 08:37:34 CEST 2014

On 06/06/14 08:20, "Thiago Macieira" <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:

>Em sex 06 jun 2014, às 14:00:19, Yuchen Deng escreveu:
>> I'd say, the 'dev' even does not be a complete words.  so run a poll
>>sounds
>> be fair.
>
>Let's run at QtCS next week. I don't think we'll ever get a better
>sampling of
>people involved in Qt development.
>
>Someone who feels strongly about the renaming should conduct a quick show
>of
>hands during the plenary session.

I don’t see why we’d need to rename dev. Nothing has changed for that
branch. It has exactly the same meaning as before, and the same workflow.

We have changed the other ones because we have a different scheme how we
create these branches and merge between them.

And for those confused where to push their changes:

* If you were before pushing to dev, continue to do so.
* If you were pushing to stable, push to 5.3 (Later on, you might have a
choice of pushing to 5.3 or 5.4 depending on whether it’s critical enough
to do another release of 5.3 as well once we have 5.4 out).
* If we have a 5.x.y branch available (because we’re in the process of
preparing a release), and you have a fix for a showstopper for that
release, push to the 5.x.y branch.

Cheers,
Lars