[Development] QtNetwork QtCS Session

Jędrzej Nowacki jedrzej.nowacki at digia.com
Mon Jun 16 14:41:26 CEST 2014

On Thursday 12 of June 2014 18:24:38 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > > if we modularize the repos more, we need to go full monty and modularize
> > > *everything*.
> > > i really wouldn't want to do that with the current build system.
> >

> > I guess it would be a nice long term goal.
>
> I'm sorry, that's pointless. I don't think that's a nice goal at all.
>
> The modules were invented so that we'd have related libraries together and
> they could release at different pace if required. It's technically supposed
> to  be possible to use only a subset of the modules.
>
> It makes no sense to build Qt without any platform plugin, for example. The
> plugins must stay with QtGui, which implies that QtCore, QtNetwork and
> QtDBus must too.

Don't be sorry, you are right :-) From that perspective it doesn't make sense.
My perspective was a bit closer to autotest execution; for example why to run
dbus tests while a change is touching only gui. Separate modules are solving
that problem somehow naturally, but you are right we can fix it on a different
level, without bumping modules count.

Btw. it seems that only xcb platform plugin depends on dbus and that the
dependency is optional.

Cheers,
  Jędrek