[Development] [API Change] New authentication method in QNetworkAccessManager

Kurt Pattyn pattyn.kurt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 07:43:59 CET 2014

> On 09 Mar 2014, at 22:46, Richard Moore <rich at kde.org> wrote:
>

>> > IIRC SSL sockets had the same "issue" when SSL errors are raised. Has
>> > it been solved there? How?
>> AFAIK, it has not been solved. The problem is the same.
>
> It has been partially solved, in recent versions you can set the socket to pause when ssl errors occur which avoids the need to use a nested event loop, see https://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,13834 We want this to be supported for authentication and also for ssl when there are no errors. It is being tracked as QTBUG-19032.

Is the documentation on the signal sslErrors() still correct then: "Note: You cannot use Qt::QueuedConnection when connecting to this signal, or calling QSslSocket::ignoreSslErrors() will have no effect." ?

Do you think this mechanism should also be added to QWebSockets, or leave it as it is?

Personally, I think that the delegate approach is a nicer and for the end-programmer a less error prone solution. It could even be combined with the pause/resume functionality: when a delegate is provided, pause the socket, asynchronously invoke the delegate and resume the socket when the delegate throws a signal.
I know this would be for a next major release, but is it worth trying this out and propose it as an extension to the API?

Cheers,

Kurt