[Development] Qt and accessibility, some critical questions

Vincenzo Rubano vincenzo.rubano at icloud.com
Fri Mar 21 10:52:34 CET 2014

Hi all,

since I am blind, I need my applications to be as accessible as possible. However, working with QT under Mac OS X, I feel that there are some important accessibility issues in the framework.

I thought I was doing something wrong in my first basic programs, so I decided to investigate further by trying out the examples shipped with the QT Source. However, there are the same (critical) accessibility issues.

So, I’m wondering if there’s anyone who worked on QT Accessibility or created any accessible QT-Based application. I strongly need some feedback about QT Accessibility because I need to understand wether it is worth spending my time learning QT or if I’d better pick up another framework and learn that. Accessibility is really critical for me and I hope te issues I’m experiencing (unable to tab through different widgets, unable to edit a QTextEdit or a QLineEdit widget text with my screen reader, etc) are not bugs in the QT framework.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Vincenzo.