[Development] No SSL on iOS ?

Jeremy Lainé jeremy.laine at m4x.org
Thu May 1 15:51:02 CEST 2014

On 04/30/2014 11:42 AM, Peter Hartmann wrote:
> Yeah, nice work! I think it would be a good thing to get this into qtbase (should you be
> willing to contribute this of course); providing only a subset of the QSsl*
> functionality sounds perfectly fine to me...

I have created a "qssl-ios" branch in my clone of qtbase on gitorious should you want to
track the work in progress.

I am progressively getting more tests to pass, though anything which requires
QSslCertificate is currently broken.

The bulk of the code lives here:

https://qt.gitorious.org/qt/sharkys-qtbase/source/a5817fb03bf83ed2c35a5f1e43005562852f639e:src/network/ssl/qsslsocket_ios.mm

One problem I am going to run into is that Apple's API doesn't seem to provide error
details when a certificate check fails (SecTrustEvaluate), so I don't think we'll get as
fine-grained QSslError's as when using OpenSSL. I have however managed to implement the
pattern used in the OpenSSL implementation:

- start handshake
- emit sslErrors if appropriate
- allow ignoring the errors using ignoreSslErrors
- complete handshake

Cheers,
Jeremy