[Development] CMake integration and system headers

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Wed May 7 12:49:40 CEST 2014

> I compile my project on -Weverything with some warnings disabled
> (bad case of OCD I guess)

I try to build with as many warnings enabled as possible and -Werror on as well,
so I'm very much a fan of asking the compiler to be strict.

The issue I mentioned above though cost me a lot of debugging time -
and I'm someone
who is fairly experienced with the language, tooling and Qt.

Unfortunately marking something as a system header is a sledgehammer -
it suppresses
warnings in both non-generic code where the compiled code is
independent of the context
in which it is used but also in macros and templates where the
compiled code is a combination
of your own code and the code in the headers.

> . This is obviously not possible,
> as many warnings are just warnings and Qt is complicated enough to use many
> non-obvious constructs.

Do you have or could you get any stats on what warnings are remaining
and with what frequency?
When I disabled Qt warnings the main issue was that we wanted implicit
lossy conversions to be errors
in our code but there are a number of cases where Qt did this. I
believe these have since been fixed though
and -Wconversion is now used?

Regards,
Rob.