[Development] new "debugsupport" module and API

Ulf Hermann ulf.hermann at digia.com
Mon May 12 12:33:28 CEST 2014

> I guess using a TCP connection would still be possible, but not be the defaut anymore for local debugging/profiling?

The QDebugServer so far supports four kinds of connections and it's
possible to add more. You can use local or tcp connections and both
allow you to establish them in either direction. E.g. the QDebugClient
can open a QDebug{Local|Tcp}ServerConnection and the QDebugServer can
connect to that using the respective client connection.

The QQmlDebugServer (which wraps a QDebugServer) parses an additional
command line argument "name" and will use a QDebugLocalServerConnection
if it's found. QtCreator doesn't support that, yet, but it would be easy
to add it.

So, currently the default is still TCP and we can't really change that
for applications using older versions of Qt. However, we can make
QtCreator detect if the application supports local connections and use
them where possible.

regards,
Ulf