[Development] new "debugsupport" module and API

André Pönitz apoenitz at t-online.de
Mon May 12 21:33:30 CEST 2014

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 02:54:23PM +0000, Koehne Kai wrote:
> > -----Original Message----- From:
> > development-bounces+kai.koehne=digia.com at qt-project.org
> >
> > we currently have several implementations of the QML debug protocol
> > used to transmit data between a debugger or profiler and the
> > application being debugged or profiled. I'm proposing a generalized
> > "debugsupport" module to address various issues with those. In
> > particular: [...]
>
> First of all: I'm all for the idea of making the current protocol a
> properly exported API + using it for more than just QtDeclarative!

Consolidation of various incarnations of the code might make sense,
exporting would need a good reason.

> One thing Andre raised though was whether we should continue running our
> own (albeit improved) proprietary protocol, or try to integrate into /
> implement TCF:
>
> http://wiki.eclipse.org/TCF

My main point was not to go for TCF, but that we should not go further down
the NIH route _before checking out existing alternatives *and* establishing
they don't fit the purpose_.

I mentioned TCF just as a potential candidate, as it showed some promise
a while ago and we even had some code for it on the Creator side. I don't
know anything about TCF's current state and mind share, though.

Andre'