[Development] new "debugsupport" module and API

Ulf Hermann ulf.hermann at digia.com
Tue May 13 11:46:38 CEST 2014

> One thing Andre raised though was whether we should continue running
> our own (albeit improved) proprietary protocol, or try to integrate
> into / implement TCF: http://wiki.eclipse.org/TCF

TCF has different messaging semantics. In particular it has message
types (Request, Response, Event) and rules on the order in which those
have to occur. All the plugins would have to play by those rules and the
server and client would have to expose a slightly different interface.

Also, TCF is way more complex than what we currently have and mandates
various things we don't actually need, e.g. a locator service. It also
proposes standardized interfaces for various common services, e.g.
RunControl, which of course are different to what we currently have. If
we want to be compatible with other tools we'll have to implement that.
If not, we can as well stick to our own protocol.

Another intersting possibility would be the gdb remote protocol because
if we get the server stub right we could get "native" QML/JS debugging
in gdb and lldb by using that. However, the protocol is very crude and
not really meant for anything but debugging. So we'd have to somewhat
misuse it to implement things like the QML profiler on top of it. There
is a File I/O interface that could be used to fetch the data and the
client can send custom packets using Python scripts, but do we really
want that? Of course using gdb remote would also necessitate changes in
all the plugins so that they output gdb commands and replies.

So, to conclude: Implementing the server side of TCF would be a lot of
work and we should clearly know what we're trying to achieve before we
do that. Implementing the gdb remote protocol would be easier and have
an immediate use case, but if we don't want to put a whole lot of
strange hackery into that we should restrict it to QML/JS debugging and
not make it a general purpose facility.

 > Please create a new module. This doesn't need to be in qtbase.

Yes, I think so, too. There is no real reason to further bloat qtbase.

regards,
Ulf