[Development] Qt warnings and -Weverything/-Werror

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue May 13 22:21:11 CEST 2014

Em ter 13 maio 2014, às 12:28:11, achartier at fastmail.fm escreveu:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to enable the -Weverything and -Werror Clang compiler flags
> for my application code to treat all warnings as errors.

Please note that Qt compiles mostly cleanly with -Wall -Wextra -Werror. We do
not support -Weverything, since it produces warnings that are, well, stupid.

> Unfortunately,
> Qt itself generates a large number of warnings. I would like to suppress
> the warnings generated for Qt code but have Clang report all the
> warnings (errors) in my application code.
>
> I have searched a lot on this subject and have not found a solution that
> really works. The proper way to do this is to use the -isystem flag and
> specify the Qt include directories so they may be treated as system
> headers, however qmake seems to always pass the Qt include directories
> with the -I argument no matter what I do (I even tried INCLUDEPATH -=
> <Qt_include_dirs> to no avail).

Make sure you're using 5.3. If so, qmake will automatically use -isystem for
all system header paths.

Note: *system* header paths. You need to install Qt in one of the system
header paths for that to take effect. That is, /usr/include or
/usr/local/include or one of the rest listed in:

$ grep DEFAULT_INCDIRS mkspecs/qconfig.pri
    QMAKE_DEFAULT_INCDIRS = /usr/include/c++/4.8 /usr/include/c++/4.8/x86_64-
suse-linux /usr/include/c++/4.8/backward /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-
linux/4.8/include /usr/local/include /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-
linux/4.8/include-fixed /usr/x86_64-suse-linux/include /usr/include

> The only approach that has worked so far is to use the -Wno flag to
> disable certain warnings. This is far from desirable, as then the
> warning checking in my application code is tied to the quality of the Qt
> codebase.

We only need -Wno-error=deprecated-register and that's because of a macro from
glibc (Linux). No other flags are necessary with -Wall -Wextra.