[Development] Adding support for version number comparisons

Keith Gardner kreios4004 at gmail.com
Wed May 14 14:41:20 CEST 2014

> >    1. Numerical groupings should be compared integers instead of
> characters
> >    in order to properly allow for "alpha2" < "alpha11".
> >    2. Delimiters should only be used to denote groups of content but be
> >    skipped during the compare.  "alpha" == "-alpha" == "~alpha" ==
> ".alpha"
> >    1. Can be restricted to the first character if this is too broad.
>
> Given that we're numbering things, your last point would probably be
> better-
> numbered 3 instead of 1 again, right?

It was actually suppose to be a sub item to 2 but it looks like the tabbing
was lost.

> Note also that version number schemes for particular software are not
> constant
> over time.
>
>  https://blog.qt.digia.com/blog/2009/09/03/qt-4th-edition-feature-pack-7/
>
> Are Windows versions in scope?

Are you referencing kernel versions or how the OS embeds version numbers
into binaries?  If it is the latter, support is there since they are
strictly four numerical segments.

> I changed grantlee versions to drop a 'v' at some point.
>
>  http://www.grantlee.org/downloads/
>
> I'm sure there are other examples in the past and in the future. I didn't
> read
> closely enough to see if that affects your proposal at all.

At this moment, the 'v' is optional and if present, will be ignored.

> My bikeshed color is that a version comparator should only do
> 'component-wise
> numeric comparison' and shouldn't also try to handle prefixes and suffixes
> etc. I'm just adding that because I don't really support any side of this
> discussion beyond bikeshedding.

I like the color of your bikeshed.  I personally think prefixes are the
most ambiguous out of all the potential parts to a version number and I
would prefer to not include them.  Suffixes were initially not on my radar
but others responses have convinced me that the desire to have them is
there.