[Development] Adding support for version number comparisons

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed May 14 22:36:30 CEST 2014

Em qua 14 maio 2014, às 14:12:40, Stephen Kelly escreveu:
> Note also that version number schemes for particular software are not
> constant over time.
>
>  https://blog.qt.digia.com/blog/2009/09/03/qt-4th-edition-feature-pack-7/

That was a joke! Tongue in cheek with how Symbian/S60 named its versions at
one point in time.

> Are Windows versions in scope?

Also, we support version numbers, not marketing names. "Symbian 5th Edition,
Feature Pack 1" was 5.1. And that got retroactively renamed to Symbian^1. And
then Symbian^3 became Symbian Anna. The same goes for Windows: the marketing
name "Windows 7" does not represent the version number.

QSysInfo::osVersion() will return "Windows 8" but QSysInfo::osKernelRelease()
will return "6.2.9200".

> My bikeshed color is that a version comparator should only do
> 'component-wise numeric comparison' and shouldn't also try to handle
> prefixes and suffixes etc. I'm just adding that because I don't really
> support any side of this discussion beyond bikeshedding.

I can support that.