[Development] Bringing Qt's high-dpi support to more platforms

Portale Alessandro Alessandro.Portale at digia.com
Mon May 26 23:58:13 CEST 2014

I believe it is definitely worth maintaining! And I believe Qt desperately needs it, since high-dpi is a very common case on Mobile devices and it is becoming common on non-Apple Desktop. (Is your current device pixel ratio really just 1? http://www.devicepixelratio.com/ )

Just to make an example, Qt Creator looks bad on Windows or Linux with 200% "font scaling" https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTCREATORBUG-11179 while it is in much better shape on Mac+Retina . The devicePixelRatio scaling feature in Qt on all platforms would be a sane solution for high-dpi Qt Creator, and most likely for other applications as-well.

The second part of your proposed implementation, the settable QT_HIGHDPI_SCALE_FACTOR, makes it very flexible. That way the application author can decide when to turn off devicePixelRatio scaling on Apple devices or turn it on on others. I am looking forward for Qt 5.4, the high-dpi release :)

Alessandro