[Development] Proposal: removing the release branches after the release

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue May 27 10:10:04 CEST 2014

Em ter 27 maio 2014, às 09:26:38, Oswald Buddenhagen escreveu:
> > I don’t see any problems with having named branches for patch level
> > releases, and it is what we agreed to some months ago. Can you explain why
> > you’d want to remove the branches once the release is done?
> >

> let's say it's a measure to keep the admins halfways sane. ^^
>
> a release branch is redundant with the tag which marks its end.

What Ossi said, and what I had said in my email: there will never be a 5.3.0
again, so there's no point in having a *branch* with that name. We only need
the *tag* afterwards.

Having both the branch and the tag is redundant.

Also, please note that the discussion some months ago ended with both Ossi and
I recommending that the tag be merged back into the branch for the minor
series. That is, 5.3.0 gets tagged as v5.3.0 on release and v5.3.0 s merged
into 5.3; after that, 5.3.0 is deleted.