[Development] The dark side of QtMultimedia

Knoll Lars Lars.Knoll at theqtcompany.com
Tue Nov 11 13:09:27 CET 2014

On 11/11/14 11:32, "Gianluca" <gmaxera at gmail.com> wrote:

>Il giorno 11/nov/2014, alle ore 10:41, Knoll Lars
><Lars.Knoll at theqtcompany.com> ha scritto:
>
>> On 11/11/14 09:47, "Simon Hausmann" <simon.hausmann at theqtcompany.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On Monday 10. November 2014 09.43.25 Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> I share that philosophy and support any efforts towards making
>>> integrations
>>> like that easier. In the case of multimedia that can be tricky though,
>>> but
>>> that's not necessarily Qt's fault. It did take a while until gstreamer
>>> had
>>> basic OpenGL texture streaming support, while frameworks on other
>>> platforms
>>> have had it longer. Nevertheless once you can get hold of that, I think
>>> the Qt
>>> Quick Scene Graph API is rather well suited for the graphics
>>>integration.
>>
>> Well, if you’re doing a complex multimedia app, this might be the right
>> approach. But for the 90% use case (show a video, play a sound, capture
>> something from the camera), we can’t tell people to write 10 different
>> implementations for the 10 platforms/OSes we support.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Lars
>>

>Dear Lars,
>you are right, but Qt Multimedia is very far from achieve what 90% use
>case needs.
>Since Qt 5.1, I wrote some small apps showing video and playing sound and
>capture camera, and even when the target was just one platform (iOS most
>of the case), Qt Multimedia failed to works and I was forced to use the
>native API and write a lot of code for using Qt Quick with native
>multimedia API that was more than the code for the rest of the app.
>So, I like the Qt Multimedia approach, but it’s not usable now. For me
>the status is something like alpha instead of stable as it seems from the
>Digia’s blog.
>I’ve never filed a bug regarding my situation just because a simple
>search on the forum will arise always with a documentation somewhere in
>the wiki indicating that the features was not supported on that platform.
>
>>From a user that does not need to write complex multimedia apps, but
>>just need to show some videos and doesn’t know almost anything about the
>>complexity of videos playback, the frustration of using Qt Multimedia
>>module is from the lack of clear statement of all “hole” in the
>>implementation.
>I don’t know if the Qt Multimedia team has the awareness that from
>external point of view what appear from Digia’s blog and documentation
>about the Qt Multimedia is something like the holy gral of cross-platform
>multimedia library, but when you try to use in a toy situation just
>doesn’t work as expected.
>
>For me, at the moment, Qt Multimedia is the most weakest module of Qt and
>at the same time is the most advertised.

I will agree with you that’s it’s one of the modules that need most work.
Andy’s email explains pretty well why this is the case. I’d be extremely
happy if we can finally find a way to fix that situation, but it isn’t all
that easy unfortunately. I certainly don’t think it’s the most advertised
module we have. Qt Quick and e.g. Qt WebEngine are for sure getting more
focus in terms of marketing.

Cheers,
Lars