[Development] The dark side of QtMultimedia

André Somers andre at familiesomers.nl
Tue Nov 11 13:32:52 CET 2014

Gianluca schreef op 11-11-2014 13:29:

> Dear Lars,
> I’m using Qt from more than 10 years, and I like so much the Qt library that I always want to contribute in some way. I cannot afford at the moment to put myself in working at the Qt code, so often I think to buy a commercial license only to contribute in some way to development even if I don’t need it. But I cannot afford it too.
> So, I throw a suggestion for the future in this email even if it’s off-topic: why don’t ask donation for some specific module improvement and development ? I was very happy to donate some money to help the development of Qt Multimedia. And maybe, with a survey it would be possible to know which module will get more contribution to its development via donation.
> What do you think ?

While it sounds sympathetic, I have yet to see such donation/bounty
based systems really work. They've popped up for other projects in the
past, but the ones I have seen have not yielded much. And nobody ever
claimed the bounties I have offered. I'd be afraid it takes more
resources to setup and maintain than it would yield in terms of donations.

André