[Development] The dark side of QtMultimedia

Holger Hans Peter Freyther holger at freyther.de
Wed Nov 12 09:22:54 CET 2014

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 09:41:49AM +0000, Knoll Lars wrote:

Good Morning Lars,

> Well, if you’re doing a complex multimedia app, this might be the right
> approach. But for the 90% use case (show a video, play a sound, capture
> something from the camera), we can’t tell people to write 10 different
> implementations for the 10 platforms/OSes we support.

Well, somebody needs to support these 10 platforms. And to make
it worse. With things like GStreamer.. a lot depends on the used
plugins. So any abstraction built needs to be superior to Phonon
to help in detecting and debugging crazy vendor stuff.

When things don't work the promise of Qt falls apart (no matter
how crappy that vendor plugin is, specially when playbin just
does the right thing). And when the cost of debugging/analyzing
is higher than the cost of integrating directly with the OS
multimedia stack it looks worse.

How is multimedia different from the X11/Win extras?

holger