[Development] OS X plugin naming bug

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Nov 14 18:18:38 CET 2014

On Friday 14 November 2014 07:58:43 Jake Petroules wrote:
> Yeah, Qt plugins should absolutely be packaged as bundles (loadable
> modules). I’ve mentioned this before; I think this is a good next aim for
> 5.5. Shouldn’t be much more work than changing the extension from .dylib to
> .bundle and adding the -bundle linker flag, though they should be actual
> CFBundles too, not just flat files. I reopened the issue.

The problem is pushing this change to everyone else, in both accounts:

1) People package Qt plugins by other means besides macdeployqt, which means
their scripts may fail if we rename our plugins

2) User applications have plugins of their own

For #1, I think proper warning in the changelog should be enough. For #2, I'm
not sure.

Now, question: is this worth it?