[Development] The dark side of QtMultimedia

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Nov 17 17:49:21 CET 2014

On Monday 17 November 2014 00:37:20 Rex Dieter wrote:
> Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > On Monday 17 November 2014 02:55:33 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> >> Yet Phonon officially supports GStreamer 1 now, QtMultimedia still
> >> doesn't. These are the kinds of things we notice as GNU/Linux
> >> distributors, not whether some developer adds some new feature to the
> >> legacy GStreamer 0.10 backend.
> >
> > Which just goes to show how misguided the distributions are under that
> > philosophy that usually comes from the GNOME world. Developers don't care
> > about having the latest version, they care about getting work done.
> > Updating just because the library is newer and cleaner is not enough; they
> > need to get something in return.
>
> In fairness in this context, gst-0.10 is no longer supported (by gstreamer
> upstream developers), whereas gst-1 is.

I understand, but that only supports my point. So it wasn't the distros that
were shortsighted, the upstream developers were.

By the way, I read somewhere that some distros are considering not shipping
Qt 4 as early as their next releases. I also think that's shortsighted. Keep
it in your repos all the way into 2017...