[Development] The dark side of QtMultimedia

Gianluca gmaxera at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 17:55:38 CET 2014

Il giorno 17/nov/2014, alle ore 17:47, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> ha scritto:

> On Monday 17 November 2014 09:10:06 Gianluca wrote:
>> I’m very happy. That’s give a complete different view. But, I would disagree
>> about your suggestion of “forget the wiki”, because the main communication
>> with the Qt user should pass from there. Only few users has the will and
>> the ability to look at the commit history and the bug tracker. I think that
>> most of the users of Qt just look on the release notes and the blogs and
>> the wiki to see if there is something new or improvements.
>
> I disagree. While it would be nice if everyone could follow the discussion,
> that is not required. What is required is that other developers working on Qt
> can follow the discussion. The primary communication channels are this mailing
> list, Git, Gerrit and JIRA.
>
> Note specially that if you're posting on this mailing list, you're expected to
> have a Git checkout of the Qt source code.

That is where maybe Qt communication fails.
Because I don’t have Git checkout of Qt source code, I was always tend to avoid this mailing-list and to write only on the community forum. But maybe you should take a look on the forum, because I seen a lot of time people answering that the only way to get an answer is to ask on the development mailing-list because only developer knows everything. But sometimes it’s wrong.
In fact, I continue to think that it’s wrong to write on development mailing-list to know if a certain module is under development or not, and what features and improvements are planned for the next release. I think in this way, because also normal Qt user (those without git checkout of the source code) wants to know such information in order to plan their development and to choose if remain with Qt or user other tools.
Also part of this discussion (and this email) it’s off-topic for the development mailing-list, and I’m sorry for that.