[Development] Explicit linking vs dlopen/dlsym

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer perezmeyer at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 17:45:31 CET 2014

On Monday 24 November 2014 19:58:16 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Monday 24 November 2014 19:35:33 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > > default configure options. At the moment, we have to pass an insane
> > > amount
> > > of -system-libfoo and -linked-libbar switches.
> >
> > Agreed.
> >
> > I'm already changing the D-Bus switch to default to linked unless you're
> > on
> > OS X. You could argue that it should be the default even on OS X...
>
> Actually, the reason that you *need* to pass -system-xxx on distributions is
> to make sure that Qt will use the system lib. In other words, if you forget
> your BuildRequires: tag, the build for Qt should fail. If you let the
> default on, it's possible that Qt will accidentally use the bundled copy.

I might need more caffeine but I think I'm not quite understanding you here.

If using the system libs where the default and the compilation would break if
the lib is not there it would mean:

- No need for packagers to set up lots of flags.
- Packagers will quickly notice if they are missing a library.

If using the embedded copies has to be the default for any other reason maybe
having a --use-system-libs flag would be enough.

--
Simulations are not data. In God we trust, all the others must supply data.
 Walter Opyd, "Show Me The Data" IEEE Spectrum's reader's comments,

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/