[Development] QSettings refactor updates

Milian Wolff milian.wolff at kdab.com
Fri Oct 10 11:07:52 CEST 2014

On Thursday 09 October 2014 19:43:08 Tomaz Canabrava wrote:
> Please be kind, this is the first step to contributing to qt that I'm
> trying. :)
>
> First, I'v implemented the rationale that thiago asked me to do on the
> other thread:
>
> Settings format: .ini ( current settings uses native format, should I
> implement that too or the reasoning here is 'be simple'? )
>
> Cache format: binary json
>
> If the json cache was created before the .ini, it will recreate the cache.
>
> Internal format: I'v created a QConfigGroup / QConfig / QConfigCore set of
> classes, that can be renamed if it better fits.
>
> Usage on code:

Hey Tomaz,

may I ask why you don't simply copy KConfig? It's API design has proven to be
extremely versatile and efficient over the years. So is there any reason for
writing something from scratch, instead of picking KConfig and adding the JSON
cache feature on-top? Maybe I'm just missing some context or previous
discussion on that matter?

Note that KConfig uses a pluggable format in the background, so adding
registry or plist support is possible.

Bye
--
Qt Developer Days 2014 - October 6 - 8 at BCC, Berlin

Milian Wolff | milian.wolff at kdab.com | Software Engineer
Tel. Germany +49-30-521325470, Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090