[Development] QSettings refactor updates

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Oct 10 11:24:06 CEST 2014

On Friday 10 October 2014 11:07:52 Milian Wolff wrote:
> may I ask why you don't simply copy KConfig? It's API design has proven to
> be extremely versatile and efficient over the years.

He is copying KConfig's API. That's why the main class is QConfigGroup, like
KConfigGroup.

> So is there any reason
> for writing something from scratch, instead of picking KConfig and adding
> the JSON cache feature on-top? Maybe I'm just missing some context or
> previous discussion on that matter?

Licensing.

Unless you're able to contact all the contributors to KConfig and convince them
to relicense under the CLA for inclusion into Qt, then you have the time to
clean it up. David wanted the same for KStandardDirs, but he ended up
rewriting from scratch for QStandardPaths and the result was much cleaner. I'm
expecting the same here.