[Development] Building Qt 5 in release mode with debug symbols

Milian Wolff milian.wolff at kdab.com
Fri Oct 10 11:49:16 CEST 2014

On Friday 10 October 2014 11:39:33 Milian Wolff wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> once more I'm preparing a Qt 5 build for profiling purposes and wonder again
> why there is no way to combine -release and -debug in Qt's configure
> script. The only way to get a sane build for profiling Qt code itself that
> I know of is hacking the mkspec and ensuring that -g is added even in
> -release mode.
>
> Is there any reason for that? Could we improve this situation somehow to
> make it simpler to get a Qt build with optimizations and debug symbols?
>
> Am I missing the recommended way to get this done?

Ugh, apparently I'm out of the loop here. While looking at the mkspecs, I
noticed the (to me) new *_RELEASE_WITH_DEBUGINFO qmake variables. That lead me
in turn to try out the (still mac-only) -debug-and-release once more which
prints the somewhat cryptic message that its not required anymore thanks to
separate debug information. Reading the output of configure -help then finally
gave me -force-debug-info, so I'm now trying this out.

./configure ... -release -force-debug-info

Is that the recommended way to get this done?

Thanks, sorry for the noise (probably)
--
Qt Developer Days 2014 - October 6 - 8 at BCC, Berlin

Milian Wolff | milian.wolff at kdab.com | Software Engineer
Tel. Germany +49-30-521325470, Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090