[Development] QSettings refactor updates

Adam Light aclight at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 20:16:55 CEST 2014

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 7:25 AM, Ziller Eike <Eike.Ziller at theqtcompany.com>
wrote:

> On Oct 10, 2014, at 3:37 PM, Adam Light <aclight at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On the flip side, our large Qt application runs on Mac and Windows and
> we're intentionally using QSettings with INI format on both platforms for
> consistency. Since the storage of settings is really an implementation
> detail (users should hopefully never need to edit the settings files
> themselves), it's easier for us if the settings are stored the same way on
> all platforms.
>
> Qt Creator intentionally used ini format for “consistency” as well, but:
> * Since the paths are different through the platforms (Windows XP vs
> Windows vs Linux vs OS X), and have to be, there is not much consistency in
> the end after all, and
> * Uninstallation process involves manually removing settings and
> application data, at least on OS X, and there are even uninstallation tools
> out there which do it for you, if the application follows the platform
> convention
>
> So there are IMO very good reasons why someone would want their
> application to follow platform conventions for application settings.
> Possibly with a way to opt-in or opt-out.

Sure, I understand why a developer might want an application to be able to
follow platform conventions. I'm just making the case that I think there
are valid reasons to *not* follow platform conventions as well. Currently
QSettings makes it relatively easy for the developer to decide. But if this
new class is eventually going to replace QSettings, I feel that the option
should remain for the developer to force the settings to be saved in a
consistent way across platforms, not always using the platform convention.
Otherwise it's a loss of functionality.

Adam