[Development] osx search paths with 5.3.2

Matt Broadstone mbroadst at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 17:23:11 CEST 2014

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 11:07 AM, Ziller Eike
<Eike.Ziller at theqtcompany.com> wrote:

> On Oct 13, 2014, at 4:55 PM, Matt Broadstone <mbroadst at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've been using qt 4.8.6 for quite some time on my macbook installed
>> from homebrew with no problem whatsoever. I decided over the weekend
>> to upgrade my install to the latest qt5 build which on homebrew is
>> 5.3.2. Everything installed, qmake ran and I was able to successfully
>> build qjsonrpc on my mac. Cool.
>>
>> Now, I've got another test app that links to qjsonrpc, and when I
>> build that it turns out that I'm no longer able to find anything in
>> /usr/include or link to anything in /usr/lib. I naturally assumed this
>> was an issue with the compiler's search paths, but then why did 4.8.6
>> work? Hmm, okay, let's just use Qt's distributed 5.3.2 binaries, maybe
>> homebrew got it wrong... Same problem. I went through a diff of the
>> mkspecs dirs of both versions and couldn't see anything that would
>> obviously cause this.
>>
>> Has anyone using Qt on mac run into this problem? Running out of ideas here!
>
> Hard so say anything without knowing what the things are that are not found.
> General hints are: Have a look at the actual compiler command lines and look for the -I and -F s, and run qmake with “qmake -d -d -d” to get detailed information on which files are pulled in and how specific qmake variables get their values.
>
> Br, Eike

Hi Eike,
Thanks for the quick response. The things that are not found are for
isntance, "/usr/include/qjsonrpc/qjsonrpcmessage.h". I can fix this
manually by adding "/usr/include" to my INCLUDEPATH - no problem, but
definitely wasn't a requirement on the exact same machine with the qt
4.8.6 install (maybe a more basic question: is this just something
that changed in 5.x mkspecs?). My compile lines with 4.8.6 installed
add -I/usr/include to the compile lines, while the 5.3.2 install does
not. Additionally, adding "-L/usr/lib" to my LIBS line in the pro file
with 5.3.2 still breaks and can't find files that are definitely
there. I'll pour through this "qmake -d -d -d" now and see if I can
provide any more information.

Matt