[Development] Qt 5.4.0 Beta snapshot available

Knoll Lars Lars.Knoll at theqtcompany.com
Tue Oct 14 22:41:22 CEST 2014

On 14/10/14 16:41, "Simon Hausmann" <simon.hausmann at theqtcompany.com>
wrote:

>>should
>>wouldn't be
>> >
>> > Are you asking to delay the beta, or for an exception to add the
>>change
>> > after the beta? I would prefer the second option given how many
>>issues we
>> > had getting the beta together.
>>
>> I don't want to add the change after the beta is released. If we don't
>>get
>> these changes in for the beta content, I'll abandon them.
>>
>> The changes are ready, just pending approval:
>>
>> https://codereview.qt-project.org/95531
>> https://codereview.qt-project.org/95532
>> https://codereview.qt-project.org/95533
>> https://codereview.qt-project.org/96073
>>
>> The important ones are the second and third ones. The fourth one is an
>> optimisation that can be added at any time.
>
>In my opinion those changes - as big as they may seem - could go in after
>the
>beat. Yes, they change the implementation a lot, but they barely affect
>the
>API. The beta is about being able to try out new features in Qt and
>getting
>feedback about for example regressions. IMO that's not in conflict with
>your
>changes.

I'm agreeing with Simon. It doesn't really change the API much and leads
to a better implementation. If these patches had come up as feedback to
our beta, we would have put them in as well. For new APIs this is what the
beta period is about.

So I'd say let's get the beta out and the changes in afterwards.

Cheers,
Lars