[Development] QConfig update.

Rafael Roquetto rafael.roquetto at kdab.com
Wed Oct 15 15:09:47 CEST 2014

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 02:36:51PM +0200, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 October 2014 08:39:27 Rafael Roquetto wrote:
> > No! Not everyone uses Creator or whatever tool. I strongly dislike the idea
> > of having to depend on a specific toolset. What is productive to some can
> > be counter-productive to others. We need to KISS and use a human-readable
> > format that offers the possibility to be manually edited if desired. And
> > for that XML is a huge PITA IMHO. Please, please don't go down that road.
>
> The only issue is that the more human-editable the source form is, the harder
> it is to write a parser and toolchain to configure.

Of course, we need to find a compromise in between. In other words, KISS but
no simpler. I am not suggesting something based on natural language,
actually, I am just arguing against an approach which enforces the usage of an
specific tool/editor as an alternative for a better designed textual format.
Specially when it comes to settings or schemas.

The suggested QTypedSettings class is an example of a human-editable source
form which is easy to read (*arguably* easier than condensed XML *IMHO*) being at the same
time tool agnostic (any editor will do) and parser/compiler friendly.

--
Rafael Roquetto | rafael.roquetto at kdab.com | Software Engineer