[Development] QtRemoteObjects (was Replicant)

Stottlemyer, Brett (B.S.) bstottle at ford.com
Mon Oct 20 12:38:26 CEST 2014

On Monday, October 20, 2014 2:32 AM Simon Hausmann wrote:
> So what would a .proto file look like for a Q_OBJECT? That's not evident to me
yet.

> However a .proto file could be written (manually) that describes the messages
> needed to allow calling into QObjects. Basically a schema for what QWebChannel
> also does.  In order to allow for custom types to be passed through, the meta-
> type system would have to be extended to allow for registering mappings from
> meta-type ids to protocol buffer descriptors.

Just have a minute, and wanted to clarify one point.

I wasn't trying to suggest using protocol buffers as a wholesale replacement for MOC generated code.  I was thinking only of the piece for marshalling Properties and Signal arguments for QueuedConnection calls, and the return value.  Since the types are known at compile time (based on everything MOC already does), it should be possible to generate the protocol buffer definitions for those items, which would then be compiled with the rest of the MOC generated code.

Brett