[Development] [FYI] new git-gpush features, a.k.a. the smart way of pushing to gerrit

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at theqtcompany.com
Fri Oct 24 11:37:29 CEST 2014

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 10:26:20AM +0200, Jędrzej Nowacki wrote:
> On Thursday 23 of October 2014 19:03:32 Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > just to be clear, everybody is expected to use these scripts after they
> > leave the beta phase.
> > this will be technically enforced at some point.
>
>  Now, you got my attention. To be honest I'm a bit surprised. Personally I
> didn't have a need for any additional script while working with
> gerrit.

> What is rationale for the "technical enforcement"?

years of preaching "don't rebase unnecessarily" and "don't create
spurious dependencies" being mostly ineffective. "i pushed an update to
your change, take care not to overwrite it accidentally" being futile on
a regular basis. people demanding ridiculously short review cycles,
because waiting for a review "holds them up for 'process' reasons". etc.
iow, the usual results of inattentivenes, indifference (unless one is
the reviewer affected by it, of course), impatience, and sheer laziness.
and sometimes even genuine mistakes.

these scripts give you a much more transparent "gerrit experience".
you can continue your work without regard for the fact that often
you need to push amended changes, and doing so thoughtlessly creates
work for *other* people.
even if you are a paragon of virtue and painstakingly take care to not
annoy your reviewers with needless noise, you'll find that these scripts
make this just *so much easier/faster*.