[Development] [FYI] new git-gpush features, a.k.a. the smart way of pushing to gerrit

Olivier Goffart olivier at woboq.com
Fri Oct 24 12:55:40 CEST 2014

On Friday 24 October 2014 12:38:29 Jędrzej Nowacki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I admire that you want to improve everyones working process, but I think you
> took the wrong way. You are fixing the problem on odd level, I strongly
> believe that you should fix Gerrit, enforcing a tool on everyone is at the
> best far from ideal.
>
> "don't rebase unnecessarily" -> For us, Gerrit is always cherry-picking,
> which means a user do not really control final parent of a change.
> Therefore in theory rebase should not be a problem. Sadly It is because of
> two things: 1. It crates new patchset, which sends notification and reset
> score 2. It breaks web diff.
> Both should be fixable on the Gerrit level

+1,

How hard can it be for gerrit to compare the two diffs and see that their are
the same?  No new patch set should be created if the rebase do not change
anything.
(Patch: https://github.com/ckamm/gerrit/tree/interdiff-stable-2.8 )

> "don't create spurious dependencies" -> I didn't even know that it is a
> problem. Especially that in most cases a change is staged by its author,
> which is supposed to know the real dependency. Any external tool, like for
> example qdoc bot, has to take the dependency into account anyway, so there
> is no additional work to do.

+1 again

> "i pushed an update to your change, take care not to overwrite it
> accidentally" -> Do not do it, unless you explicitly arranged with change
> owner. Some people get angry about it. I can understand that, because it is
> not immediately obvious what kind of changes you did. Moreover maybe they
> already scripted the Gerrit access, in such case your modification would be
> invisible.

This is actually something that would be worth to enforce.
How is gpush detecting that?  Can it not be enforced with a normal git push?

--
Olivier

Woboq - Qt services and support - http://woboq.com - http://code.woboq.org