[Development] [FYI] new git-gpush features, a.k.a. the smart way of pushing to gerrit

Smith Martin Martin.Smith at theqtcompany.com
Fri Oct 24 13:47:21 CEST 2014

> years of preaching "don't rebase unnecessarily" and "don't create
> spurious dependencies" being mostly ineffective.

I speak for all the people who play "Myst" by just walking around the island enjoying the views and listening to the waves.

We don't know when it is necessary to rebase, except when we get the message "Please rebase the change locally...," and even then we don't really understand what is wrong. And we don't know when we are creating spurious dependencies because we don't know we are creating dependencies at all.  We just do:

git commit -a -F ./commit.txt
git pull --rebase
git push origin HEAD:refs/for/dev

We do the rebase step because we were told that was the right thing. In Myst, how do you get out to that island to pull the lever?

 martin