[Development] [Interest] Direct-lookup translation, even for English (was Re: get english translation)

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Sep 3 18:11:16 CEST 2014

On Wednesday 03 September 2014 07:16:22 Saether Jan-Arve wrote:
> We could do that, but I don't see the problem in providing the translation
> file. Shawn already mentioned many good reasons for why translating the
> "engineering English" to "end user English" (whatever that is) is a good
> thing. (Note - you don't need to provide translations for everything)

The problem is actually shipping and loading such a file.

Imagine an application that is only run in English (no L10n) and for which the
source code has proper, English messages. Will it occur to the developers that
they have to provide the en_US translation file from Qt?

No, it won't. We need to get rid of that file.

PS: I can't find it. Shouldn't we have at least one in qttranslations?