[Development] [Interest] Direct-lookup translation, even for English (was Re: get english translation)

Knoll Lars Lars.Knoll at digia.com
Mon Sep 8 09:25:01 CEST 2014

On 05/09/14 21:51, "Thiago Macieira" <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:

>On Friday 05 September 2014 09:16:48 André Somers wrote:
>> > This did not extract the string for translation. It needs to be
>>something
>> > that does extract for translation and does translate to another
>>language
>> > if a translator was loaded.
>>
>> I don't see how it properly could. Both strings would be specialized
>> anyway for the singular and plural case. The singular version probably
>> would not even have a placemarker for the number in it. How would that
>> work in the translation? You could still use a translatable string for
>> both alternatives, but I think that's completely missing the point. You
>> either do localization, or you don't. This really sounds like a weird
>> in-between, non-solution to me.
>
>Fortunately for us, existing implementations have done this successfully
>for
>years and prove it's possible.
>
>https://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Localization/i18n#Plurals

Yes, this works for KDE that has a policy that all source strings are in
english. While we have the same policy for Qt itself, I don’t think we can
require the same thing from our users. And then a two form API simply
feels wrong.

Now I would consider it a good thing if we had a better way of
automatically loading all relevant translation files for an application.
IMO this also requires a policy of how they get packaged during deployment.

Cheers,
Lars